Why do we get duplicate entries?
Duplicate stakeholders is a common preoccupation when using stakeholder registers. In Borealis application, stakeholders can be created in many different ways, whether directly in the system, through Excel import, when creating a meeting entry, etc. It can happen that users create two entries for the same stakeholder or even misspell the stakeholder’s name, generating a duplicate entry.
What is the stakeholders merger?
The stakeholders merge functionality identifies potential duplicates based on name similarities. Other factors like email, phone number, localisation, ID card number or birthdate can also be considered to identify potential duplicate stakeholders. The tool allows users to merge or dismiss potential duplicates in a few clicks to ensure data integrity with respect to active processes.
Stakeholders should be merged when more than one record exist in the system that refer to the same stakeholder. This is a data integrity flaw that prevents from proper tracking of interactions with that stakeholder.
How do I merge individuals?
See videos at the bottom of this article.
1- The system automatically identified potential individuals
Based on the names, the system automatically flags individuals that are potential duplicates of each other in the Individuals register.
Any individual whose name is the same - or up to two letters different - as another's name will be identified by an icon in the Individuals list of the Stakeholder register and in its respective record.
An individual's potential duplicates are listed by clicking on the icon located at the top right corner of the individual record tab of its corresponding record (which can also be shown by selecting Actions > Duplicates management). Column "Similarities" lists fields that share the same value as the current individual.
2- Manually identify duplicates
Potential duplicates that are not identified by the system can be manually added to the list by choosing Actions > Duplicates management and selecting an individual. Manually added potential duplicates will also be itentified by anicon.
3- Tips and tricks
When hovering over potential duplicates, action buttons appear :
Action "Ignore" results in ignoring the potential duplicate and removing it from the list. By doing so you confirm that it is not a duplicate but a legitimately distinct individual.
Action "Merge" results in merging the selected potential duplicate into the current individual (the current indivudual record is therefore "kept" while the selected potential duplicate will be removed).
When selecting action "Merge" the following is performed :
1. Updating the current individual's information with the information of the corresponding individual in the Potential duplicates list
- Any empty field of the current individual will be filled with the content of the potential duplicate individual;
- Values of multiple selection fields will be combined in the current individual.
- Content of fields in potential duplicate record of other types than multiple selection that are filled in current individual's record will be lost. Always merge from the record you want to keep.
2. Updating all references to the duplicate individual
- Any reference to the duplicate individual anywhere in the system be updated to refer to the current individual instead.
3. Deleting the duplicate individual's record
- The duplicate individual will be deleted and no longer accessible
4. Updating Action History to keep track of the merge.
Note that this action cannot be undone. A pop-up screen will appear, allowing you to confirm the action and enter a comment before it is performed.
Also note that when merging individuals, values in Project field are combined, which results in making the updated individual visible and editable by a new set of users.