The SMS add-on can be really useful – it's a great way to connect with your stakeholders. However, you might want to put a few internal processes in place before sending text messages to your stakeholders.
Once the add-on is available in Borealis, here is what we suggest you do internally:
- Determine who should send text messages within your organization.
- Define which specific department or team is responsible for sending SMS.
- Decide if someone should approve the message before sending the SMS.
You should also discuss how and why you want to use SMS:
- Determine how you will inform your stakeholders about this new communication method. Do you have the stakeholder's permission to contact them by SMS? It is a good practice to inform your stakeholder in advance if you wish to communicate with them in this way.
- Assess how many SMS you plan to send to your stakeholders (on a weekly, monthly, annual basis).
- List the different situations when a stakeholder may expect an SMS from you.
- Determine what you should or should not say in a text message. Be concise and think of the best way to communicate your message.
- Brand your messages! When you send an SMS, do you want the tone to be impersonal, personal, casual, etc.?
And finally, choose the course of action when you receive a reply:
- Who internally should track the SMS replies?
- Is the person sending the SMS the person who should respond to replies?
- Track your response time! Should you call the stakeholder after a reply, or should you send another SMS?
- What kind of response do you receive? Make sure your SMS is effective.
If you need any help setting up this process with your team, let us know and we will be happy to assist you.