It is possible to upload communications with the use of an Excel file. This allows loading a lot of historical data quickly without having to enter them all manually. Consult this article to know how to download the Excel template.
The columns in the Excel template needed for upload must match the fields in the application. Some are mandatory to fill and others are optional. Columns that are optional can be deleted from the template if not needed.
Once the Excel file is completed with all the required information, it can be uploaded by clicking on the upload button and confirm.
The mandatory columns are:
The columns that should always be completed are:
- Staff members
- Type of communication
In some columns, there are comments indicating many possible values. One of these values must be entered in order for the importation to be successful. If the value entered does not correspond to any values in the comment, a message error will appear.
The columns in which more than one value can be entered:
- Staff members
If there are multiples values, simply use a semicolon (;) rather than a comma (,) to separate them. A line breaks can also be used to separate items.
When doing data importation, some errors can be encounter during the upload. One common error is typing errors. Here are a few examples:
- In the Column Type of communication, the word “Letter” must be written in this form. If it is written “Leter”, an error message will appear.
- The name of the columns must be written appropriately for the system to recognize them. If “Stakholders” is written with this error, the system will not recognize it and an error will appear.
- On the image below, in the Stakeholders column, “Martin Roy” does not match an available choice in the system and this causes an error.
- On the image below in the column “Type of communication”, the term “Courrier électronique” does not match any available choices as it should have been written in English. It can be seen that the details of the errors are described with the name of the column and the number of the row where to look at.
Errors will be displayed by row (see image below). If the same error is repeated throughout the excel file, there will be an error message for each row where the error is found.
We do have a few recommendations on how to upload the data in order to have the fewest errors possible on the first try. What we suggest is to customize the template once it is downloaded.
- Columns that are judged not necessary can be deleted from the template.
- Some colours can be added to indicate which columns need to be filled.
The example below indicates mandatory columns in red and recommended columns in yellow.